Over 1.21 million drivers were arrested in the United States in 2011 for driving under the influence. This is an arrest rate of 1 for every 173 licensed drivers. Alcohol related crashes costs society $51 billion annually, yet this conservative estimate does not include pain, suffering and lost quality of life.
Drunk driving statistics by state
|State||Total fatalities||% of all fatalities involving alcohol|
|District of Columbia||31||32%|
The societal costs of alcohol-related crashes in the United States averaged $0.80 per drink consumed. People other than the drinking driver paid $0.40 per drink. Alcohol-related crashes accounted for an estimated 16% of the $127 billion in U.S. auto insurance payments.
How much does drunk driving cost the US?
The CDC estimated the annual cost of U.S. alcohol-related crashes exceeds $44 billion. The nonprofit Pacific Institute for Research and Evaluation puts the cost of drunk driving in the United States even higher, at $132 billion annually.
At what point is it OK to drive after consuming alcohol?
The Standard 1-Hour per Drink Rule
Usually, you are safe to use the one-hour per drink rule. So, if you have two glasses of wine, you should wait two hours before driving.
The statistics further revealed that the highest percentage of drivers with an alcohol content of . 08 or higher were age 21-24 years old (35 percent), followed by ages 25-34 (32 percent) and then ages 35-44 (26 percent).
In 2016, 10,497 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for 28% of all traffic-related deaths in the United States. Of the 1,233 traffic deaths among children ages 0 to 14 years in 2016, 214 (17%) involved an alcohol-impaired driver.
Drivers are considered to be alcohol-impaired when their blood alcohol concentration (BAC) is . 08 grams per deciliter (g/dL) or higher. … These alcohol- impaired-driving fatalities accounted for 31 percent of the total motor vehicle traffic fatalities in the United States.
Alcohol is a factor in 25% of Florida’s crash costs. Alcohol-related crashes in Florida cost the public an estimated $7.8 billion in 2000, including $3.5 billion in monetary costs and almost $4.3 billion in quality of life losses. (For definitions of the cost categories, see the definitions fact sheet.)
Where is the most common location for crashes?
Intersections. Around 15 percent of fatal car crashes occur in intersections, while the remaining 85 percent take place on the open road. However, many non-fatal car crashes do take place in intersections as a result of improper left turns, violations of traffic laws, speeding, and distracted driving.
How much does a DUI cost over 10 years?
How Much Does a DUI Cost in Southern California?
|DMV driver’s license fee:||$125|
|Car insurance increase (over 10 years):||$10,154|
|Bail bond cost (up to):||$2,500|
How much does a DWI cost in Texas?
The Texas Department of Transportation estimates the average cost of a DWI to be $17,000. In a press release issued six years ago the Texas Department of Transportation stated: “Convicted first-time DWI offenders can pay a fine of up to $2,000, lose their driver’s license for up to a year, and serve 180 days in jail.”